OSRGaming

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Writing Adventures
« Last post by DocMindwipe on Today at 01:22:04 PM »
First up, guess who's back. Yup, it's your alltime favourite Norwegian-in-Exile, Doc :D Remember me? No? Fine. Be that way.

Anyroads.

I feel a good adventure should contain a fair bit of backstory, as otherwise, all we would have is one hack&slash fest after the other with very little  to feed the imagination and roleplay. There should be enough in the background story(for theDMs eyesonly, untill further noticeat least) so that I as one of the players gets this sense of wonder and try to figure the whole shenanigan out.

With no real backstory for the DM to plug into, the adventures will then feel like "more of the same" to me.
That is my NOK0.05.
Save for Half Podcast / Re: What's YOUR Top 5?
« Last post by Samoht the brave on Yesterday at 10:33:50 PM »
1) Warhammer Fantasy 1st edition
2) Dungeon Crawl Classics
3) Legend of the 5 Rings 1e
4) Mutant Chronicles
5) Call of Cthulhu
Save for Half Podcast / Re: Save For Half podcast #06: Classic Traveller by GDW
« Last post by DMMike on Yesterday at 10:41:56 AM »
I've heard that a lot about PF, and I guess if they're having fun with it then its all good. Personally I find pregens (except at a con) kinda dull. Expectations seem to have changed from earlier generations though, just look at some of the more railroad adventure "paths" out there; people love 'em while I'm bored to tears. <shrug>

CT is my all time fave SF game.... Even though I've played Star Frontiers and Star Trek, I always go back to my Classic Traveller!

DM (Good at his character surviving CharGen...eventually) Mike
Save for Half Podcast / Re: Save for Half Episode #3: "Basic and Expert D&D"
« Last post by DMMike on Yesterday at 10:38:04 AM »
Sorry for the delay replying, I missed these! Also I'm getting an error msg when I try to quote so I'll have to do this from memory:

Thanks for the kudos, and I didn't in fact mention the gnome lair. My mind must've shut it out...trying to protect me from my natural desire to get in there and kilkilkil! ;)

Yellow mold is always fun, I insisted on stating it up for Castles & Crusades when I worked on that game. Green slime, Bansheas, and Giant Tics as well! Morale was one of those things I rarely used, preferring to decide as DM based on the situation if the monster(s) retreated or surrendered or whatnot. For new DMs though, it isn't a bad mechanic. Even if its not used, the morale level is a handy shorthand as to how dedicated to fighting the critters are.

Flammable treasure? I suppose scrolls or wands could fit that bill. Gold has a low melting point but in my exp. PCs will happily burn it anyway and then scrape it off the cave floor. LOL!

As I've noted on the 'cast, my fave is Holmes but if I'm trying to teach someone new to play D&D IMO there's never been a clearer rules set for that sort of new person than Moldvay. As for Expert, I *think* it was on the back of the box but I can't say for sure. I'll need to get Liz to crack open our set. Or find that mini set of Expert we've got around here somewhere. :)

Glad you liked the show!

DM (Good at better late than never!) Mike

Save for Half Podcast / Save For Half Sideshow # 11 1/2: "Son of Blueholme!"
« Last post by DMMike on Yesterday at 10:25:09 AM »
Save For Half Sideshow # 11 1/2: "Son of Blueholme!"

Once again the Save for Halflings dig through the emails in the Halfling Hideaway and answer questions from the listeners…some of them even true! After a break we travel through time and space to sit down with the Blueholme man himself, Michael “Vile Traveller” Thomas. We discuss his RPG, gaming in general, and accents. Lots of accents.

No Time Lords were harmed in the making of this podcast, not even the British ones.

It's all here at: http://saveforhalf.com/

Links mentioned in this show:

Blueholme Journeymanne rules
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/208800/BLUEHOLMETM-Journeymanne-Rules

Outdoor Survival boardgame
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1511/outdoor-survival

Stan Johansen Miniatures (RW009+)
http://www.stanjohansenminiatures.com/Road.htm

Catweazle Series 1 Episode 1 - The Sun in a Bottle (Part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cgIHS7am9g

Don't forget to drop us an email at saveforhalfpodcast(at)gmail.com to give your opinions of the show!

Be sure to check out our forums at:
Save for Half at Original D&D Forums
http://odd74.proboards.com/board/77/save-half-podcast

Save for Half at OSRGaming
http://www.osrgaming.org/forums/index.php?board=37.0
First Edition AD&D / Re: There and back again
« Last post by Dizzy on August 10, 2018, 01:22:08 PM »
Very cool Ian!

I've always considered doing this myself. OD&D plus all the supplements and stuff always felt like 1e to me. I think if you want a pre-basic OD&D you have to look at is as the original 3lbbs only. Even then, it is helpful to use your understanding of 1e or basic to fill in the gaps of stuff that isn't explained well. How long did this all take you? sounds like a fun little project!
Mazes & Perils / Re: Press Release: Mazes & Perils 2e
« Last post by Lord Nikon on August 07, 2018, 05:51:22 AM »
No assassins.
No halforcs.
Illusionists no longer special.

No thank you sir!

(ducks)

LOL
First Edition AD&D / There and back again
« Last post by ian54 on August 05, 2018, 08:27:16 AM »
I wanted to share a small journey I undertook recently.

My original gaming background was almost exclusively AD&D 1e, I went through the emergence of the 1e supplementary books, the revisions in Dragon, all the way up to 2e and stopped shortly after that (not before amassing another huge collection of splat books).

Last year, primary driven by a D&D sale on PDFs, but also due to the occasional references in the OSR community, I got all the Original D&D books and supplements and decided to go through them all to see what gems they had. In the end I decided to accumulate them into a single document, first by copy/pasting the original three books, and then cutting out parts of each supplement and inserting or amending where necessary. I made some "changes of comfort" like combining the class experience and abilities tables, and reorganising monster stats into the more familiar format. All the while I was learning the rules and seeing the origins of the game unfold before my eyes.

My journey was nearly finished but so many things were missing from my compleat tome; monsters, classes, treasure. So to complement it I went though all seven issues of Strategic Review and the first ten issues of Dragon, taking out the additional rules, classes, monsters, treasure, and also articles such as the description of the inner and outer planes, and added them all into my ever growing compendium.

The final result of my labor, was ... a slightly rough version of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1e), it was all there. Without doubt the issue of the 1e books was really a composition and reworking of the original rules, and that was it. Not to play this down, as the rules for 1e were (IMO) close to perfection, but I really understood how they came to be and the huge amount of ideas that Gygax and company had churned out in those early years, it really made me appreciate it all the more.

Additionally, what struck me was just how "basic" the eventual Holmes Basic edition that succeeded it was and how much of a rewrite it had become, no wonder it emerged as a separate product stream, I had some idea that Original edition was going to be pre-basic, but I was truly amazed at how much detail was in those first rules.

As a postscript, I can thoroughly recommend any 1e aficionado to take a moment to explore the OD&D rules, it does actually explain a lot and how the 1e rules came to be.

WotC D&D / Legends & Lairs, Spells and Spellcraft Missing Page, HELP!
« Last post by Shiftkitty on August 02, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »
Today I scored a trove of books at the thrift store. They're in decent enough shape, but one of them is missing a page and I'm hoping someone can scan it for me so I can print it and slip it into the book? (Hope this doesn't violate any site rules!)

It's from Legends and Lairs. The book is "Spells and Spellcraft", and the missing page(s) are 89-90.

I apologize if I'm in violation regarding published material.
Second Edition AD&D / Merrshaulk the Serpent Lord
« Last post by AuldDragon on August 01, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »
While still powerful, the somnolent Merrshaulk the Serpent Lord is in a slow decline. His chosen followers are the insidious yuan-ti, who lurk in ruins of ancient cities, either remnants of their own past or the remains of places they corrupted and destroyed. His lack of direct attention to his followers has led to a usurpation of his power by other deities on more than one world, however.

Jeff
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10