OSRGaming

Author Topic: Finally got a Rules Cyclopedia  (Read 363 times)

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Finally got a Rules Cyclopedia
« on: June 04, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »
It's been a big hole in my D&D collection.  I have had a PDF for a while but have wanted a hard copy for a while now.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +9/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: Finally got a Rules Cyclopedia
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »
Nice! Not my personal favorite version of classic, but it sure is nice to have it all in one convenient book! How are you enjoying it?

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
Awesome! I love my RC and use it quite a bit. I don't want it to get all dog-eared, so I always handle it carefully. It shows signs of use, but I keep the binding and the pages in good shape. A complete game in one book is unheard of these days! And yes, nothing beats having a hard copy in your hands!
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 08:25:25 AM »
I remember picking one up new in a Hasting's store back in the 90s.  I regret selling it to Half-Price Books in the early 00s.  I was a busy, new parent with zero gaming group.  Ah, well.

Good on you!

Offline DocMindwipe

• Administrator
  • XP: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:07:53 AM »
I got one as well.... £40 or so it cost me, which is a decent price nowadays seeing as most EBay sales I've seen goes up to over £100.

LOVE having it all in the same book, a few things here and there missed out from the boxed sets (which I bought on DnDClassics anyways) but it's a fantastic book.

My wife is not pleased with us running out of shelfspace..... ;)

Offline RobJN

• XP: +1/-0
  • Dire Flumph
    • View Profile
    • Thorn's Chronicle
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 06:38:55 AM »
Moar shelves!  ;D

I use my RC primarily if I want to look something up quickly, or look for something very specific. Or roll up magic items. But the boxed sets are nice to leaf through at a more leisurely pace.

The only advantage the PDF really has is that the OCR makes it infinitely faster to search.... provided I can remember the term I'm looking for...! :-[
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Blog | On Facebook | G+

Offline Jack Daniel

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
I had collected three Cyclopedias at one point, but I gave my rattiest one to a gaming buddy when I had to move away and end the campaign we were playing.  As for the remaining two, one is pristine and doesn't leave my bookshelf, and the other is in pretty good condition and that one I actually use.

Of course, I was far more excited when my wife found me a white box (with supplements!) at the bookstore where she used to work.  After that, I only needed to track down Holmes Basic and the gold box Immortals Set to finish my OD&D collection. (Since then, I've added Holmes to my collection, but I still haven't found a gold box—it's my one remaining gap! I suppose I don't mind it so much, though, because I like Wrath of the Immortals much better.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:53:13 PM by Jack Daniel »

Offline DMMike

• Show Hosts
  • XP: +6/-0
    • View Profile
    • Victorious RPG
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
Yeah, we had a RC with a rough cover in our collection but gave it to DM Glen since he actually played the system. I wonder if DnDClassics is offering a PoD?

Also Shiftkitty, Victorious is all in 1 book! I know you were probably referring to flavors of A/D&D...but I gotta get my plug in. :lol:

DM (Good at plugging the Age of SuperMankind) Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com