OSRGaming

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ends in 4 days!!
Come and see what the hype is about. Check out the main page and the updates for snippets of things to come.

The Midderlands Expanded
#themidderlands
You can even get the first book as part of this campaign if you missed it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/608764698/the-midderlands-expanded-an-osr-setting-expansion/posts/2117244
Classic D&D / Crazy Dream About Classic D&D
« Last post by Shiftkitty on February 16, 2018, 06:19:49 AM »
So I went to bed after looking over some game material and yes, it affected my dream. I dreamed we were playing a BECMI game with a standard party of four when, fairly early on, we stumbled across a large chest. As the thief picked the lock, my fighter had to help pry up the insanely heavy lid. A glowing light was emerging from the inside, so everybody jumped in to help get at whatever it was. As the lid fell backwards, the DM (whom I couldn't see behind the DM screen) described a blinding light and flash of intense heat coming from the chest. He described us lying on the floor all around the chest in great detail. We could see everything. He even cracked some jokes about cellulite thighs. Then he said, "But none of that matters now. You see, you're all quite dead." The game's goal was to return from death, and it promised to be a great game. Unfortunately, my alarm went off and I never got to finish the game.  >:(
Classic D&D / Re: Dm Screen
« Last post by RobJN on February 14, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »
Aside from the usual (monster/PC "to hit" charts, saving throw tables, cleric's turning), I'd probably have the "Order of Events" tables: per wilderness exploration's "per day", per adventure turn, and  per combat round. Weapon Mastery might be something to include on the "player's side;" the DM's side could contain "special effect" or other WM notes for at-a-glance effect adjudication.

Think about the things you always have to look up -- if it's a chart, you could either include it, or an RC/BECMI booklet page number for ease of reference (with accompanying Post-it/sticky tabs in the book(let))
Classic D&D / Dm Screen
« Last post by smblackmon on February 14, 2018, 03:01:21 AM »
I plan on making my own dm screen for becmi. I made one for my 1st edition players but was wondering other than the official dm screen what would you add to it to help game play.
Other Games / Re: I am fed up with the limited availability of 5E
« Last post by outlander78 on February 11, 2018, 08:58:25 PM »
Thanks i will look into it
« Last post by Fjw70 on February 10, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »
Thanks.  I wish they were selling pdfs instead of trying the subscription model.  Such is life.

While they aren’t PDFs, the subscription is for accessing more than 6 characters in the character builder or for sharing your content with other players. If you just want electronic versions of the books then that is just one time purchases.  Plus the all the tools work with those products that you have purchased with no subscription fee.

The offline version of DDB through the iPhone and android apps being tested rijght now and works great. It is just Kindle like books for now.
Classic D&D / Re: Rules Cyclopedia is back in print
« Last post by RobJN on February 10, 2018, 07:01:40 AM »
POD is my new, best friend!  Just wish they would offer POD's of all of the older edition books.  Can't imagine it is that much more work to tweak the PDF for POD.  Of course, it works best when the document is entirely digital, and not a simple scan.  Still hopeful...  Cheers!
At least they OCR'd it, and linked up the Table of Contents and Indices. Some purely-digital products don't even bother to do that.
« Last post by outlander78 on February 10, 2018, 06:45:17 AM »
Thanks.  I wish they were selling pdfs instead of trying the subscription model.  Such is life.
Second Edition AD&D / 2e Bard: What is your experience with this class?
« Last post by sgtslag on February 09, 2018, 01:34:26 PM »
I have had only one player run a 2e Bard, back in the mid-90's.  He was a passive player, so I could not gauge the class based on his play of it.  My current players consider it weak, so they avoid it.  What has been your experience with this class?  Good, bad, ugly?

I play in a 2e game, but I don't believe the DM would know what to do with a Bard.  The class does not appeal to me much, personally, so I have never played one, either.  I think it has tremendous potential, with a DM willing to play it up, handing the character background information (lore, history, etc.), as well as be willing to play up the social networking it should have.  Granted, this background stuff would be taxing on the DM, but I believe it could be quite fun, if the DM has developed his societies to the point where he could play this stuff up properly.  Thoughts?  Experiences?  Your views?  Cheers!
Classic D&D / Re: Rules Cyclopedia is back in print
« Last post by sgtslag on February 08, 2018, 01:56:44 PM »
POD is my new, best friend!  Just wish they would offer POD's of all of the older edition books.  Can't imagine it is that much more work to tweak the PDF for POD.  Of course, it works best when the document is entirely digital, and not a simple scan.  Still hopeful...  Cheers!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10