OSRGaming

Author Topic: Stone Age Mage?  (Read 88 times)

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Stone Age Mage?
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:34:19 AM »
I want to set up a campaign for my new group and was thinking of hitting them with a Stone Age setting. Dinosaurs, very low-tech equipment (clubs instead of swords, slings instead of longbows, etc.), and scattered tribes  of semi-nomadic hunter/gathers would be the norm. I', stuck on a couple of things:

1. RACES: Would you make it a humans-only campaign, or would you allow other races for PCs and just make something up? (An elf, for example, could have been found as an orphaned infant and raised by one of the women in the tribe.) Might an "Elfquest" deal be better, where the races live as separate tribes amid much mistrust of one another? If so, how to handle mixed race parties? (I'm inclined to do the humans-only thing, or have everyone be of one race.

2. MAGIC: Would you limit spellcasters to druids? Or limit spells to naturalistic spells, such as those dealing with wind, fire, water, or earth directly? What about priests? What sort of gods would be appropriate to fit a primitive campaign?

3. EQUIPMENT: Would armor be limited to Hide and Leather armor? Some sources identify Leather armor as hardened leather, a process I don't think they had in the earliest days of modern man (not going Neanderthal or Cro-Magnon). The time period table in the DMG only goes back to the Ancient Age, but I read that the bow had been around for ages before that. What weapons and other gear would you allow?

This isn't solid, yet, but my goal with this campaign would be eventually a generational campaign (if the gang likes the game, some have never played before and others haven't played since they were teens in the '80s). I don't have any of the supplements that cover various time periods (like the green covered supplements for Charlemagne, Rome, etc.). It's a hefty project, I think, so any suggestions would be appreciated. (Pacing of the generations of civilization is something I'm still hashing out!)
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline hive_mind

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Age Mage?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 03:39:16 PM »
You might want to take a look at Wolf Packs & Winter Snow.  http://www.rpgnow.com/product/189190/Wolfpacks-and-Winter-Snow-PDF

It's a pretty interesting take (especially like the Cave Paintings Magic) and may have something you can crib for your own game.

Offline Shiftkitty

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:47:23 AM »
Good resource! Thanks a bunch!
"Attack now! We can level up in Hell!"
~ My nephew getting carried away at his first D&D game

Offline hive_mind

• XP: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
I believe there was an article on Ice Age D&D at one point as well.  An issue somewhere in the 60's I believe (67 or 68 maybe).  I don't believe it really covered magic, but it's been a long time since I looked at it so maybe I'm wrong.