OSRGaming

Author Topic: Arduin Trilogy  (Read 100 times)

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +8/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Arduin Trilogy
« on: January 30, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »
So yesterday I manged to win a bid on the Arduin Trilogy on ebay. I've always been curious about the different early D&D hacks. Has anyone used Arduin before? Did you actually use anything from it? Or did you all just hate every moment of it.

Looking forward to receiving my copy.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: Arduin Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »
And it arrived a week earlier than expected. A casual flip through and skimming through some section has some cool ideas. Will have to look more indepth.

Offline ThePerilousDreamer

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Ruins of Murkhill - OD&D and Other Classic Old School RPGs
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »
I have used the Arduin Trilogy in my OD&D since it was published back in 1977 and I love Arduin. A few things to remember about the first book The Arduin Grimoire, it was originally written as an OD&D supplement. See this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduin it is mostly accurate. Also remember that it is a grab bag and you should read it with an open mind and then lift the parts you like and try them out. It is an off the wall collection of everything Dave Hargrave could think of uncensored. It is like a dungeon, you will find valuable gems and rubbish in the same area.

Offline ThePerilousDreamer

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Ruins of Murkhill - OD&D and Other Classic Old School RPGs
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:50:27 PM »
I have Arduin Volumes I to VIII, and have never been able to get my hands on Volume IX. I will try to post a bit about them in the next day or two. BTW in the wikipedia post I linked to, I provided the following info a few years back as a correction.

The Arduin Grimoire (Arduin Grimoire Vol. I), 1977. There are four different editions(printings) of this volume. These editions(printings) differ via internal verbiage, cover and back cover artwork and some internal artwork (p. 79, among others). The first edition (printing) of volume one features cover art by Erol Otus and references to Dungeons & Dragons. The second edition (printing) of volume one features cover art by Erol Otus and the references to Dungeons & Dragons have been whited out and typed over. The third edition(printing) has the cover picture of multiple characters fighting and on the back cover the female character is topless and is the David Hargrave character known as Shardra the Castrator that appears topless in the drawing on page 1 of Vol III The Runes of Doom, the page following the Table of Contents. The fourth edition (printing) and later printings, which comprise the vast majority of copies of Vol 1, are identical to the third edition (printing) except that the topless women on the back cover has a halter top (editorial swimwear) added to cover her up.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »
Thanks for all your info PD! I have the 2nd print. Still the Otus art but with the explicit D&D mention gone.

In Volume 1, what do you like and dislike? do you still use it in your campaigns? thanks a ton!