OSRGaming

Author Topic: & Magazine Issue 13 is released into the wild!  (Read 349 times)

Offline winemaker81

• XP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
& Magazine Issue 13 is released into the wild!
« on: October 08, 2016, 07:44:42 AM »
& Magazine Issue 13 has been released into the wild!

*Character Races* is now available for free download on the & Publishing Group web site!

Included in this issue are great articles like:

• Brown Elves – Player Character Race, by Goblin's Henchman
  • Canaer, by Leonard Zucconi
  • Aquatic Player Character Races, by Andrew Hamilton
  • Elves of Black Shadow, by Ralph Glatt
  • Ecology of the Monster Hunter, by Bill McDonald
  • Faerie Magic, by Andrew Hamilton
  • Persistent Paladin Problems, by Duane VanderPol
  • Monitor Class, by Lenard Lakofka
  • Seeing in the Dark, by Leon Baradat
  • Setting up a Proper Dungeon, by D. H. Boggs
Plus all the regular columns you expect!

As always, we have great art from Art Director Del Teigeler along with John Fredericks, Cory "Shonuff" Gelnett, Martin H, Caleb Horowitz, Robin Irwin, Chris Letzelter, Milo, Michael Raston, Del Teigeler, and JV West.

In addition to material from regular contributors Timothy Connolly, John Fredericks, Goblin's Henchman, Lenard Lakofka – we have articles from Kevin Birge, D. H. Boggs, Bill McDonald, Duane VanderPol, and Leonard Zucconi.

Please get the word out to share with others, and I hope you enjoy and find it useful!

Offline mutazoid

• View Profile
    • www.oakvillegamers.com
Re: & Magazine Issue 13 is released into the wild!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
Thanks cant wait to give it a read :)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
MY dream is to make an OSR Cafe
(Contact me if you like to kept in the loop when I start developing it)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
ps. I use to be Keith in the forums here before resigning up

Offline AceOfLances

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
Just recently discovered &Mag and I'm loving it!  Read issues 13, then 12, now into 1st.  Brown Elves from 13 got me creating a whole new regional sandbox, complete with the Inn from issue 12, with a few tweaks, o.c.
The Hex Crawls are such great idea sparkers!  Honestly, I haven't felt so in tune with a read since, well, the endless days and nights spent with my rules Cyclopaedia' ;-). Truly good stuff.  I would love to have these in print, haven't found anything on the site yet about getting these, but been too busy reading to look! 
Is there some way I can 'patreon' or donate monthly a small bit for this great stuff...I still buy CDs; so I feel bad getting free art, you know?!
Anyway, eagerly awaiting more, and diving back into the Game, probably the best part of finding &Mag...Over the last year or so I haven't gamed much at all, as inspiration goes, but now, look out!  Getting a hold of my group and ready to DM.
I really honestly want to thank everyone who works on &, for getting me back in!
Cheers!

Offline winemaker81

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 11:46:15 AM »
We're happy to hear that you're enjoying the magazine, and are using the materials. We don't get a lot of substantive feedback, so it's great to know our publications are making a difference! Issue 14 is in layout, we're targeting the 15th to publish, so you'll have more good stuff to read.

While we appreciate the offer to donate, our business model is zero revenue. No money changes hands in any way.

Money adds a level of complexity we don't want. The team is international, currently spreading form North America to Europe and all the way to Australia (I'm East Coast USA so Australia is a long walk). If we bring money in to the mix we need to abide by the tax laws of at least six countries.

Besides, our operating costs are low. I pay for the web hosting for myself -- adding the and-mag.com domain costs a whopping $15 USD/year. While it would be cool to get the Microsoft Office 365 subscription for the team (we use primarily Microsoft tools for editing), it's not worth the hassle.

If you want to contribute? Write an article. Produce artwork. We can use good contributions (especially art!).

Offline AceOfLances

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:08:36 AM »
The Persistent Paladin Problem by Duane VanderPol has really got me thinking about alignments and character classes.  It's funny, in a way I could really relate to the misconceptions facing the paladin class, not as a PC, but as a Catholic!  So many folks are under false impressions about who and what a Catholic churchgoer is; and there was a lot in this article that I found myself saying, "Yeah!".
I would love to see more of this kind of dissection of character classes that suffer from serious PR issues.  It really does open up the class for alternative realizations around the table.  You know, instead of Marvel's Vision being the paladin, really most if not all of the Avengers could be paladins, easily.  That's a huge difference, and one that can really open up the class.

Offline winemaker81

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »
AceOfLances,

Paladins are among the best ways to start a fight on any forum!   ;D

If we're talking paladin archetypes, my favorite is Michael Carpenter of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. If you're not familiar with these books, google it. Start with the first book, Storm Front, otherwise a lot of things will not make complete sense. While not absolutely necessary to read the  books in order, Butcher builds upon previous books.

In addition to Michael, Shiro, Sanya, and now Waldo Butters are paladins -- all fly in the face of the stereotypical paladin espoused by most on various forums. They may not resonate with you, but you may find them interesting.