OSRGaming

Author Topic: Dizzy's BFRPG Game Session Summary/Video  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • XP: +8/-0
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Dizzy's BFRPG Game Session Summary/Video
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:41:29 PM »
Last weekend we continued our Basic Fantasy RPG campaign with a new player once again :) It started slow trying to introduce him to the party (something I need to work on), but became a memorable session! Once they finally got started they decided to head into the woods once again to try and find the hermit. It took an hour or so of travel, but they made it to a large hollow tree eventually. They scoped out the trunk before finding an opening behind a bush. Erdrick walked up and hollered inside to see if anyone was there. They head the sound of footsteps before a disheveled old man appeared greeting them. The man was quite surprised to have visitors and welcomed their slew of questions for a time. After they continued to ask to enter his home he had enough and snapped.

The party was surprised as the hermits mountain lion leaped down upon them and started his strike. The hermit snickered and attacked as well. The party was quick to react, but it was like watching the three stooges. The party was getting ripped to shreds by the mountain lion, Erdrick had both of his arms crushed, Braignir had one arm crushed, and Plimble Mae received a permanent scar on her face from the claws. Dongan was quick to attend to the injured with medical aid while the rest of the party tried to fend off the Hermit and his pet. Eventually, the party was able to fell the mountain lion as they teamed up on it and the hermit ran off into his home. The party, looking awful at this point, decided they should head back to recover. Errdrick and Braignir had a difficult time carrying themselves, so they had to be helped. Eldor was dead set on dragging the Mountain Lion corpse back with them, and as he did, he suddenly felt the cold steel dagger of the Hermit slide into his back. He whipped around to see the Hermit phasing back into his presence. The people helping the wounded along dropped them and were quick to defend Eldor. The hermit was felled while in a fit of maniacal laughter. The party took a moment to recollect themselves and headed off to town again. The Corporal, Oliver, was surprised to seem them in such a shape. He rewarded them with 50 GP each for taking care of this nuisance.

The group went to the Temple of Thor to see if they could receive any healing, only to be made aware that none of the local clerics are powerful enough to mend their broken limbs. They made the offer to send a message to the City State of the Invincible Overlord if they donated enough money, but the party couldn't afford it. They may decide to make the trip themselves later. Erdrick was in a sad state, so Eldor took him out of the keep and took him out of his misery, knowing he'd never be able to hold a weapon, or perform any manual labor again. Braignir decided he could continue with one arm though.

The group will not soon forget the mortal wounds that befell them. After our 2 character deaths in session 2, I quit using death at 0 HP, and we started using the Mortal Wounds table from Adventurer Conqueror King system. So far the party had been pretty lucky with their rolls on it, but this session they couldn't roll anything to save their lives. I have to say this table made for a very memorable session at least. They players were quick to learn, even though half their party hit level 2 and we made it harder to die, they're still not out of dodge yet. The world is a brutal place, and they will continue to tread carefully!

^NSFW^
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:55:21 AM by DizzySaxophone »

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: Dizzy's BFRPG Game
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »
My BFRPG game has it's first journal entry from a player. Plimble Mae shared with us her journal where she has her backstory, and at the end explains her relationship with some of her friends. I had to award some extra XP for this!

"Hello... book.

I am Plimble. You have long sat in my bag, just waiting for me to fill your pages with ink and chicken scratch as my mother would call my attempt at writing. I never thought I would do so until now. I miss mother and my sisters. You were one of the few things I was allowed to take when I was asked to find somewhere to be.

I miss my attic window. I miss making the fine lace for the dresses my mother sold. I miss my people. Oh, not the hobbits... Not the thieves... those are not my people. I mean my mother and sisters and the people I watched every day from my attic window.

I love my mother forever and ever. She fed me and taught me how to make lace. When she found I could make it even more delicate than she herself could it was my one job and I was no longer allowed to braid the beautiful piping as my sisters did for the dresses she made and made over for the noble ladies of our city. The dresses she adorned with my lace were later to be called "Fairywork Gowns" and were in high demand. I spent so many hours making this lace I could do it without even looking at what I was doing. Thus I began my hobby of watching the people as they moved about in the street below my window. Over the years I gave them names and was so excited when I saw new additions to families being carried about by their mothers. I would name them too and give them adventures in babyland. I do so love people. It is still difficult for me meet them though. I am so used to loving them from a distance.

The day I found out my mother was not my natural mother, was the day I was stolen away from her. When I was very young my mother would put shoes on my large feet. They were heavy and felt all wrong. I hated them so much. One day when one of the most illustrious ladies in the town invited her and all of us to a summer festival to honor one of her daughters coming of age, I took off the beautiful beribboned shoes and threw them into the river. I was spanked severely. I never wore shoes again. After that day I was never allowed to go anywhere with her or my sisters (basically anywhere that might cause my family embarassment) and I was only allowed to go out and play after most of the townspeople had cleared the streets at the end of the day. I would run to the orchards at the edge of town and climb and jump from branch to branch just like a squirrel. It was in one of those trees that I learned I was a hobbit.

I had fallen asleep after gorging myself on apples. When I woke there was another small person, like me, standing over me on my branch. I nearly fell, dear book, I was so startled. He asked me if I was the tailors daughter and I told him I was. He said I was not. His name was Trotter Briggs, he said, and he was my kin. My family, my true family, was slain. In accordance to my true mothers wishes, I was given over to the woman I knew as my mother to raise. He claimed he had tried to take me, but that my adopted mother had refused to allow it. Had I never wondered why I was so small and my sisters and mother so tall? Why my feet were so large compared to the dainty nubs at the end of my sisters shapely pegs? He was here to set me straight, and to take me back to my real home. I didnt want to go with him. I refused. He just nodded and said he understood. He brought out a sack of food and asked if I would at least break bread with him. I agreed and he began to tell me stories of my birth mother.

He was beginning to contradict himself in his tales when i began to feel sleepy. I blacked out and woke up on the inside of what smelled like an old fish barrel. When i was let out of my smelly prison I was in a glade and surrounded by many of my "own kind." They were a band of cutthroats and bandits. Totter was indeed my kin. The most deplorable of them apparently. I would never tell anyone this but you.. dear book. I wouldn't want anyone else to know I could be related to anyone who felt no shame in some of the things Uncle Totter had done. I will never tell them.

I didnt know where I was. I couldnt have survived on my own. I had nothing and no one now but these people. They taught me their ways. I learned much from them. Much that is useful now but also much that I will never use for the nefarious purposes they tried to influence upon me. I was with them for a few years, and then when I learned I was to wed the son of our leader, I feverishly began looking for ways to leave the band. I believed myself to be so far from my adopted family that I would never find them. On the night I was to wed I slipped my uncle a dose of the same sleeping draught he had used on me to kidnap me, and ran into the forest. Imagine my ecstasy when I found I was only about a weeks ride from my dear mother! I paid a farmer with a potato wagon handsomely to take me home. I had taken most of what my "dear" uncle had on him when I knocked him out, and apparently it was more than that farmer had made in three years selling potatoes. He was quite happy to return me home.

There was much celebrating when I walked in the house. My mother cried and held me shouting that once again we could sell the fairywork gowns that had once made her famous and that now my sisters would make advantageous marriages as they would be able to attend the festivals that they were no longer invited to since her work had fallen out of favor with the nobles. I was so happy to make her happy, book. I love her so very much.

When but two of my sisters had achieved these "advantageous marriages" my mother fell ill. For weeks I was shut away in the attic making lace. I was worried so much for her. I wanted to be at her side. I wanted to hold her and tell her she would be all right. My sisters refused to allow me near her. They said mother insisted I keep working so that she could make more dresses once she was well again. It was never to be. When the healers were able to purge the sickness from her body, she was no longer able to hold a needle, much less handle the heavy lengths of velvets and heavy fabrics needed for the dresses. She gave the dress business to my eldest sister, who had no use for it, as she had been the one to make the most advantageous marriage of them all. Mother was to live with her, and I was to find somewhere to be, as I would not be allowed in her house.

Mother cried and cried. Her life would never be the same. I felt so very bad for her. I wanted to make it better. She said she was cursed for what she did. She made me sit and listen to something that broke my heart. It was the truth about how I came to be her daughter. I cannot yet reveal this to you, dear book, it hurts too much. I cannot write it. Maybe someday. Not tonight.

In the end, she had me sell what was left of my fine lace, and bid me keep the money from it. She gave me you, dear book, and all the ribbons I could carry. She made the ribbons herself from the scraps of the gowns she made over. So beautiful! I found a great use for them too! I will get to that in a moment tho. I can't mention that without first saying that I have friends! Yes, book, real friends! Okay, well, maybe some of them don't see me that way yet, i can't speak for them, but I think they are my friends. Especially Dongan and Braignir. Dongan lets me braid some of my precious ribbons into his beard. His favorites are the red tones. They make his beard look like he has fire pouring from his chin! He has a very soft beard. I thought it would be all pokey when I first saw it but it is quite luxurious.

Braignir doesnt really like me to braid ribbons into his hair. I do it anyway tho. He needs beauty in his life, especially now. He is like a porcupine. He is all bristly and angry and doesnt trust much. I can tell. He is all beauty and strength, though, book. He is kind in his own way, though not to many people. I think the only reason he is kind to me is because I took care of him when he needed it. He was like a hurt animal, book. I had to help him. I did his hair for the first time that day. He wasnt too happy with the dandelion colored ribbons, though they did make his eyes shine and went well with his skin tone. The second time I did his hair he was drunk. I admit I took advantage of the situation... but I couldnt help myself. He earned the name "the rainbow warrior" from the townspeople that day. I dont think he appreciated that. He took all but the blue toned ribbons from his hair. Now that I know he favors that color I have set aside most of the blues for him, and have begun to look for unique ribbons of that color in the shops i visit. Plimble Mae aims to please!

I am sad for Braignir now. Recently he lost the use of one of his arms when we had a fight with a nasty old hermit and his familiar. He almost died, book, and I would not have liked that at all. When we were leaving, one of out party, who i shall not name, as that would be rude... you shouldnt have asked, dear book, shame on you... Anyway, he decided to try to take the body of the familiar we had managed to slay with us. We all told him to do what he wanted as we were leaving and no one wanted him to bring the silly thing. He did as he chose and once again we were in a position to lose more than we already had.

By the grace of whatever Gods chose to take pity on us that day, they killed the crazed old hermit and we got away with out lives. I am ashamed to say that I didnt help in that fight. I was so afraid that Braignir would be killed. He was already laying helpless, barely alive, and I was so angry that the other fool had tried to take the familiar that my only thought was to save Braignir. He told me to run! As if I would just leave him! I tried to drag him by his hair but he was too heavy and I only managed to hurt him, so I covered him with moss and grass and hid while I kept watch over him and waited for the horror to play itself out.

In the end, Braignir was healed but as I said before, he lost the use of one of his arms. One of our new comrades took his own life with the help of another in our party, so that he might be born again. He had lost the use of both arms and he was in despair. So tragic. I sneak into Braigs room at night to make sure he is healing properly and listen to his mutterings. I worry that he longs for the death that Eldrick(i think that was his name.. I didnt know him for long)chose. I hope he doesnt go that route. I will try to be useful to him. He is one of my only friends and I would give much and more to make them all happy, but right now, i think he needs me more than anyone.

That is all for now, Sir Book. I hope that I will live to write more and more in your pages. Until next I take up the quill- Plimble Mae"

dmcourtemanche

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 09:42:43 PM »
Last weekend we continued our Basic Fantasy RPG campaign with a new player once again :)
^NSFW^

Man, I'm so behind on everything from emails to blogs, etc. Had to temporarily suspend my blogger thing, but I'm going to get to yours soon and have a read. Great synopses of things, and it all brings back a lot of gaming memories for me. Hope things are good.

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 11:22:33 PM »
Thanks man! No worries about being behind. We just finished a session tonight. Lots of jokes, some RP with goblins, and an encounter with 8 zombies! It was a fun night. I still have to edit through a DCC session 2, Star Wars REUP Campaign session 1, and our session tonight. Hopefully these will be up in a matter of days!

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
Re: Dizzy's BFRPG Game Session Summary/Video
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
The party met back up after they spent a week resting so Braignir could recover. The party spent much time writing in their journals (which you can read at: http://epicwords.com/wilderlands/). Once they were done resting up they found their old friend from Oakheart visiting the keep. The young magic-user who cast sleep on himself as soon as the goblins attacked somehow managed to make his way here without dying! Slightly impressed the group brought him on.

After spending a great amount of time making fun of Braignir for his busted arm, and offended Plimble Mae so she punched Markas Fletcher right in the wedding vegetables, they decided to head back to the forest to check the Hermit's home. Once there they scoured both floors of his home in the tree, and finally, hidden in the dirt and leaves of his bed found a very small chest. Plimble was quick to check it for traps, and seeing it safe decided she'd try her hand at picking it. At last she has successfully picked a lock! Careful not to open the latch they set it at the top of the stairs. Dongan decided the best course of action would be to kick it down the stairs. He lightly tapped it and watched as it bounced down like a slinky. Sadly he watched on as a potion fell out, rolled off the stairs and shattered on the ground. Their old magic-user friend, Isaac Poe scraped some of it up in a jar (mud and all) and decided maybe he was some sort of healing potion and started applying it to Braignirs arm. Braignir was quite annoyed, but let him do it in hopes that it may help afterall.

Not feeling any affects, and having spent time picking up all the gold and silver pieces that flew everywhere out of the chest, they decided they would head in the direction they heard the caves were. It wasn't long before they ran across a patrol of goblins. Both parties caught flat footed, they thought it would be a good time to try to parley. They goblins not wanted to risk their lives spoke with them. The party told them about their exploits against the hermit and the harpy. The goblins were impressed, but expressed no interest in going to the caves with them. They explained their home used to be in the caves, but they were run out. They spoke of the other goblin clans, and the attack on Oakheart was discussed, but noone pressed it farther. The party got some directions towards the caves and went on their way.

Continuing their travels they were at the top of the hill looking down upon all the caves. They decided they'd go into the closest cave and see what would happen. They were quite surprised by the black walls with red veins. How could this be in a cave such as this? It wasn't long before they approached the groans and shambling of zombies. Unsure of what they came across they decided to spread out wide to keep the zombies from getting to the thief and magic-user. The zombies shambled in, attacking with all their strength, injuring Eldor and Markas quite badly. Isaac went to the cave entrance to watch for any other attackers. In the end the party won against the zombies and escaped alive. Before leaving they took the amulets off the zombies and Isaac tried one on. Markas immediately shouted for him to remove it telling him it was evil.

They decided to head back towards the road near Oakheart where they had originally seen this area. They sneaked off, trying to avoid any of the other cave mouths and continued down towards the keep. They ran across some merchants who waved, but they were mostly worried getting back to town. Once back Isaac took the amulets to the temple of Thor. The priests there were rather upset that he would bring something like that into their temple, but explained it was a symbol of Orcus.

You can watch it all here! NSFW

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »
Oh my, I've been behind on posting these. Currently this is 1 of 3 sessions to go up, plus I have a 5e session that needs to be uploaded as well.

I'll try to keep this synopsis short because of it. Essentially this week the party decided the cave they went to previously was too powerful, and they were a little unsure of going back, so they thought they'd take on the lizardmen. Well on their way out to the swamps, they encountered a snake in the swamp. Afterwards they ran into a shadow, but avoided the fight and finally crossed the river. Once there they didn't feel comfortable reentering the swamps so continued between the swamps and the forest when they finally came across the woods on their left. They decided this would be a better entry point until they ran across 2 giant spiders. After taking some damage, they decided they had enough of spiders and went to return home where they ran into more snakes. After resting a bit back at the keep, they decided they would try the caves again, where they ran into the kobold cave. They had a chance here, but decided they'd try to scare them off and push in. They ended up getting nearly surrounded and had to run for their lives.

No one died at least, but there was some close calls, with a few people falling into the kobold's trap. Big things happened in the next session though!

Part 1
^Remember, NSFW^
Part 2
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:15:37 AM by DizzySaxophone »

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:59:35 PM »
This session, I became a killer DM. Sadly the next session didn't stop that. It was a mix of I wasn't expecting things to be quite so brutal, and bad luck/planning on the players.

So this session started with the group deciding to head towards the raiders on the other side of the river. On their way there, they heard the sound of joyful cheering, as they suddenly saw a faerie riding ontop of a giant bee crashed into the party. Immediately this faerie creature just disappears. The players are confronted with a mass of pissed off giant bees. The party acts quickly to take down the giant bees, but not before one of the stingers pierces through Braignirs chest, and he dies due to the poison.

The party, upset, decides to try and coat their weapons with the toxins (apitoxin) from the dead bees, and drags Braignir back to the keep for a funeral. Plimble Mae is completely distraught, as is Braignir's wife Sam, who vows for vengeance against the faerie creature that caused this tragedy to happen. Dongan decided he would ask the travelling priest if he knew anything about faeries, and was quickly able to learn that this must have been a Pixie.

Sam convinces the group to head back to where they found the Pixie as she is out for blood. They cross back over to where the fight happens and starts screaming for information. It isn't long before the Pixie starts throwing items from hidden locations in the trees. The characters jokingly get hit by platinum pieces, acorns, and pinecones as it laughs in glee, but soon Eldor speaks up in frustration and the Pixie gives him a quick stab to the gut before disappearing again. He then threatens to burn down the forest, and they suddenly hear the massive crack as a tree comes falling down in their direction. The whole group tries to dive out of the way, and most are successful, but none are beaten up too bad as the tree falls. Feeling defeated by the situation, the party decides to move onto something different.

The group remembers hearing about an old ruined castle nearby to the keep that has been overriden with Orcs, so they decided to check it out. Once inside, they find a group of orcs training and eating, and it isn't long before a fight breaks out. Sam is quick and casts here sleep spell and knocks out most of the group on the left, but it isn't long until the Orc left awake shoots an arrow straight through her spine. The rest of the group manages to trade some quick shots back with the other Orcs as Plimble slits the throats of those asleep. They manage to take out the group, but once they attend to Sam they're once again distraught. Sam has become completely paralyzed as the shot went through her Spine, and they must drag her back to the keep. Plimble decides that she will be Sams caretaker since she has bonded with her the most since her arrival just a few short weeks earlier. The group heads back to rest up and to deal with their tragic loss of Braignir, and of their new friend Sam, who, is still living, but horribly paralyzed.

So the killer DM part, is that the same player controlled Braignir and Sam. We had a massive backstory going on. I tried to fudge rolls in their favor, but I didn't pull many punches either. It was just one of those unlucky days.

Remember, NSFW
Part 1
Part 2

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
It's been awhile since I posted. My group has been on hiatus due to some scheduling conflicts. Mainly I was out of town for the last 2 possible sessions, and my players were the week before that. Luckily my blogs are 2 sessions behind, so it'll give me some time to catch up.

This session was far more calm than our last. The group started by meeting a new Elve, Sylwen who had been watching the group. Soon afterwards they decided to head out and check out the Orc castle where Sam had fallen. Once there they discovered 3 Ogres eating what may have been some Orc carcasses. Luckily for the group, they had some great strategy, caught them by surprise, and were quick to dispatch the Ogres.

After looting what was left from the Ogres and Orcs, they decided they would proceed to the caves east of the Keep. They have only heard a little bit about this cave, so proceeded with caution. The paladin Markas took the lead, using his detect evil and lantern to guide the party through the cave. They detected one figure farther down the cave and found the cave split. They took the split for a few minutes before being worried that something might come behind them. Once turned around, they ran into yet another Ogre named 'Ergo' (totally not just Ogre backwards). They managed to befriend Ergo who asked for their help in defeating some monsters in his home. He told them about some stirges and the party agreed to help. After travelling through the cave, they found a hive of 12 stirges flying about. Immediately Ergo rushed in with the others and a tough battle started. The stirges started attaching themselves and sucking blood immediately. Luckily Ergo was a good meatshield and the party survived the fight along with Ergo. They explained to him that they would be back to help him defeat some more monsters in the cave later, but that they would need to return to town to rest up for awhile. Ergo gave them a big wave goodbye as the party crawled back towards town.

NSFW:

Offline Dizzy

• The Warden
  • Administrator
  • Musician/Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Dizzys Dungeon
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 07:39:59 PM »
So our 10th session was essentially a TPK if not for some DM Fiat.

Our thief was out this session, but the rest of the guys were eager to continue on, so we pressed forward! The group wanted to go back and check on Ergo and help him clear the cave. Their hope was to get the travelling priests help (aka the evil priest in b2). They went by, and the priest said he wasn't interested in going to Ergo's cave, but said he would meet them near the Caves of Chaos later after a lot of persistence from the PCs.

So the party went to check on Ergo, only to check the first den where they immediately met him. They found some scattered bones and rotting meats, but didn't find him, didn't look around anymore, and left thinking they'd check back again soon. On they went to the caves of chaos.

The PCs were pleasantly surprised that the travelling priest Chromula was there with his 2 acolytes. After greeting each other, they agreed to enter one of the caves (the goblin cave). They formed their marching order with the priest and his 2 acolytes in the back, lit up a torch and pressed on. After some careful searching, they ran across a band of Goblins on patrol in the caves. Suddenly the call "BREEYARK!" was made and the goblins got into position to attack the party. Soon another band came and attacked from the rear. The party was pinned in and desperately trying to fight the Goblins on their end while the Priest and the acolytes tried to sell the fight between them and the other Goblins. It wasn't long however before Chromula cast a Hold Person on one of the PCs and him and the acolytes broke through the Goblins and left. The PCs, brilliantly fighting, managed to over come the hoard of Goblins. They decided they should leave the caves, learning the true nature of Chromula and his silent lackeys.

On their way out they found Chromula laughing hysterically as his 2 acolytes raised their weapons. He warned the party to surrender or face his wrath. This is what you get for investigating the caves. The PCs swiftly took to action and charged the acolytes. Chromula decided he'd cast a silence 15' radius over the PCs and acolytes as he stepped back to prepare some more spells. Suddenly Sylwen and Eldor had succumbed to a hold person. Markas and Dongan shoved them aside and made quick work of the Acolytes. Try as they may, they could not overcome Chromula himself though. He continued to ask for their surrender as he slowly wore them down. Finally Dongan fell to his might and he started shouting to Markas, give up now and I'll spare you! Markas couldn't accept surrender being unsure of what would happen to his friends and fought until finally he had fallen to Chromula as well.

At this point, it was looking like a TPK, except that Plimble Mae had missed out and was in time. I came up with an idea though. Markas and Dongan were lost, but the Goblins kidnapped Eldor and Sylwen. They stole all of their gear and kept them for a month, trying to question and torture them. Eventually the kicked them out of the cave with nothing but some rags.

They finally made it back to the keep, unsure of what to do. They were out of money, so they both had to ask Corporal Oliver for some work. He offered to let them patrol with the guards, in return he'd give them a place to stay, feed them with the guards, and them them some short swords.

I've been busy with work, so we've been on hiatus, so we're all waiting to see what happens now. I'm just glad I was able to keep it from being a true TPK, but keep some hard consequences. My players know that I'm not holding back, but they also know I'm not out to kill them. They had a feeling the Chromula would do this, but didn't expect it to be as bad, or that their dice would fail them so.

NSFW