OSRGaming

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Help Identifying These Guys
« Last post by Shiftkitty on February 22, 2017, 05:28:20 PM »
I bought these for 35$ for the set at a local antique store. Can anyone give me any more information on them? There was a tag that identified the manufacturer, but they didn't put it in the bag and I can't remember what the tag said. Any info is appreciated, thanks!

General Discussion / Re: maybe i'm just getting too old
« Last post by sgtslag on February 22, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
For TSR/WotC stuff, visit the DM's Guild web site.  Cheers!
Roll for Initiative Podcast / Re: Volume 6 Issue 191– UNEARTHED ARCANA!
« Last post by Sturla Snorrison on February 22, 2017, 09:18:35 AM »
Thanks guys, I really enjoyed this show and  thought you covered everything in the book really well. For the most part my experience with and feelings toward UA match up with Vince and Nick. We were thrilled with the book when it came out and embraced, but over time some of its flaws and shortcomings became apparent and as a result we kept the parts we liked and abandoned the parts that we didn't like or just didn't fit with our game (comeliness, new PC races, e.g.).

The new spells are nice to have, although many of them are geared more towards the roleplay aspect of the game. There are a few that are pretty killer though and definitely have the potential to contribute to power creep. You guys are dead on about the whole cavalier/paladin reclassification debacle. Paladins should have remained as outlined in the original PH and cavalier is a bit munchkinish for my taste, but hey if that's how you like to play your game- enjoy it. I agree with Chrispy about the UA version of  the barbarian being the best one. I have never leveled up a barbarian very far but it does seem like that class as is could lend itself to power creep somewhat as well. But then, barbarians should be uber powerful BAs. Thief acrobat? Forget it!

Keep 'em coming guys, you put out a great podcast. It's great to hear Chrispy back on and I hope Matt will be back soon as well and we can hear all four of you. Hail the new tetrarchy!
General Discussion / Re: Good inspirational reading
« Last post by Pladohs Ghost on February 21, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
I just picked up many of Katherine Kerr's Deverry books. It's an interesting saga that offers much inspiration for gaming, I reckon.

She portrays different cultures as different in noticeable ways. The Deverry and the elves and the horsekin and the Bardekians and the dwarves are all different in ways other than clothing. How those differences affect the storylines is interesting.

The regular reincarnation of characters is an interesting facet. I regularly stop to ponder how that could be worked into a game.

The magical workings of the dweomermasters lend themselves to inclusion in games. How the magical characters interact with the mundane populace is also interesting and would be appropriate for many settings.

The stories tend to not have magical beasts and monsters, though a dragon does appear in an important role, so most of the conflict is something other than "find monsters and steal their stuff." I think it'd be quite easy to offer the same types of stories and conflicts while including more monsters, though.

Mazes & Perils / Re: A TON Of stuff coming out for M&P this year!
« Last post by Lord Nikon on February 21, 2017, 06:22:10 PM »
Definitely great to hear! the G+ community has been kicking lately too. Keep up the hard work :)

trying :)
Roll for Initiative Podcast / Volume 6 Issue 191– UNEARTHED ARCANA!
« Last post by Lord Nikon on February 21, 2017, 06:19:49 PM »
Join Vince, Chrispy and Nick take a close look at the Unearthed Arcana book from 1985, where most consider the start of AD&D 1.5E. The boys go over the history of the book, talk about things happening at the time of printing of the book and how this book saved TSR’s butt, when money was tight! Was this book accepted among the gamers of our hobby or was it overall shunned because it was considered the start of powergaming? Listen in and YOU decide what’s what with this book!

Patreon.com/wgp – Support the show and get early access to each show!
Follow us on Twitter, @Rfipodcast &  @TheEvilDM for Vince

http://rfipodcast.com/show/2017/02/15/volume-6-issue-191-unearthed-arcana/
« Last post by Angry Monk on February 21, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »
Now if I could only do that with potato chips  ;)
« Last post by DadsAngry on February 21, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »
I find that now I've sort of settled on "my" game (BFRPG, B/X, AD&D), I'm not that crazy about collecting stuff. I've got more than enough rules and supplements (more than I can play). When I've found older books in shops, I've often put them back on the shelf (even if they were a bargain). I hope some young person finds this treasure and it sparks a whole new passion in RPGs.

I wish I had that much self control.
« Last post by Angry Monk on February 21, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
I find that now I've sort of settled on "my" game (BFRPG, B/X, AD&D), I'm not that crazy about collecting stuff. I've got more than enough rules and supplements (more than I can play). When I've found older books in shops, I've often put them back on the shelf (even if they were a bargain). I hope some young person finds this treasure and it sparks a whole new passion in RPGs.
General Discussion / Re: Looking for a good dungeon soundtrack
« Last post by Angry Monk on February 21, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »
I thought Syrinscape was pretty cool. Lots of variety on the soundboard (hits, misses, spells, oohs and aahs, etc.). I would love to play with a soundboard and background music, but I'm not sure too many players are into that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10