OSRGaming

Author Topic: Spelljammer inspiration from a movie made in 2002  (Read 210 times)

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Spelljammer inspiration from a movie made in 2002
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »
Last evening, the family and I sat down to watch a movie I haven't seen in a very long time but one in which I thought the community here might find inspirational especially if you like the Spelljammer supplement.  Check out the Disney-animated Treasure Island science-fiction 'remake', Treasure Planet.

Anyone here remember watching this show?  If so, what'd you think?

Offline Fjw70

• XP: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Spelljammer inspiration from a movie made in 2002
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:36:44 PM »
I saw it a while back. I thought the movie was just okay but I loved he concept.

Offline angelicdoctor

• XP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:08:39 AM »
All of the kids loved the movie including the 19 year-old.  I thought the father-son themes explored with Hawkins/Silver was very well done.  This was something that has been lacking in much of Disney's catalog catering as it has so often does to the more effeminate at least since the 1990s.

The ship design concepts and the approach to interstellar space travel are what motivated me to post here, however.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »
It's been a while since I have seen it but I will have your see it again. My kids haven't seen it but they have been on a Disney kick lately.

Offline Fjw70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
I kind of prefer the pseudo technology of this movie to the more magic based tech of Spelljammer. You can however bring in Spelljammer concepts like air in space.