OSRGaming

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Other Games / Re: Gamma World
« Last post by Gringnr on Today at 09:42:38 AM »
Yeah, another 1E Gamma World guy here. For some reason, random mutations in GW doesn't bug me as much as random super powers in Villains & Vigilantes; dunno why. Maybe its the gonzo nature of the setting. ;)

I've also played 2E GW, but not 3E. Was 3E GW the one that was also called "Gammarauders"?

DM (Good at randomly mutating) Mike

IIRC, Gammarauders was a boardgame that was somewhat loosely based on Gama World concepts. Almost like a Kaiju/Godzilla thing.There was also a Gammarauders comic from DC, based on the game.
Other Games / Re: Labyrinth Lord
« Last post by Gringnr on Today at 09:26:58 AM »
Sorry for the necro, but...

Labyrinth Lord is the D&D I played BITD, and the D&D I want to play today. YMMV. I find it intuitive and flexible, true to B/X-1e AD&D, but verrsatile enough for whatever I need. Just started running it for my gaming noob nephews. Starting off easy, party initiative and the like, but can add things in later, once they start to grasp the fundamentals. And I can do so without overhauling the characters or adventures. I can run any B/X or 1e AD&D module with LL, needing little or no alteration. Overall, it's perfect for me.
Save for Half Podcast / Re: Save For Half Episode 05: Top Secret by TSR
« Last post by Gringnr on Today at 09:21:20 AM »
Great show, gang. DMMike, with regard to your wondering if the James Bond 007 modules were supposed to be played just like the movies they were named for, the answer is no. The modules were changed, and players were warned that trying to play them just like the movies would most likely result in failure, or at the very least, a stirred martini.
Classic D&D / Re: The Force
« Last post by angelicdoctor on Yesterday at 02:06:43 PM »
I'd be tempted to make them class-based abilities similar to how the monk is defined in 1st edition AD&D with certain Force abilities unlocked at a certain level signifying the level of training the jedi-like character has attained.  Another thought along these lines would be to try and mesh the D6 Star Wars approach with D&D starting the force user character with access to Sense-related force powers then adding Control powers at 3rd level and finally Alter powers at 6th, for example.  Use Wisdom and/or Charisma checks to gauge the success/failure of each force use attempt, borrowing from Star Wars Saga Edition.

Another way to integrate force powers is through the use of D&D's skills rules, cf. Hollow World supplement and/or RC.  Each power is simply a skill the force user learns.  Apply the necessary related skill check for success/failure and/or magnitude of success or failure and voila! Force powers in classic D&D.
General Discussion / Re: Book of Sorrows Actual Play Podcast
« Last post by Vile on Yesterday at 03:28:08 AM »
I found the original records
Magic! :)
First Edition AD&D / Actual Play podcasts?
« Last post by Solo4114 on July 24, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »
So, I know how to find the Book of Sorrows podcast, but I'm trying to find some of the other ones that were mentioned in the old issues (like, going back to 2012 I think?).  It sounds like at one point there were 5 of them, including Jayson's actual play, but I can't actually find them online anymore.  How does one go about listening to these anymore?
« Last post by DocMindwipe on July 24, 2017, 07:53:17 AM »
To be honest, for some even iTunes is too much. I personally don't want anything to do with apple software on my PC.

Well... I've always found that the absolute worst piece of rubbish is the binaries coming out of redmond.... Ever since their "Disk Operating System" (which was already not their own invention, they bought QDOS and not invented a single piece of software since) they've produced nothing but rubbish.
« Last post by Dizzy on July 23, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »
Is there any way to get these without itunes for those who don't do the whole Apple thing?
You don't need anything except iTunes, actually... even if you only download to episopdes, you can play them via any mp3players you want

To be honest, for some even iTunes is too much. I personally don't want anything to do with apple software on my PC.

I found the original records (has more than what has been reuploaded on RFI's website currently) at https://archive.org/details/ActualPlayPodcasts/QBS00.mp3
« Last post by DocMindwipe on July 23, 2017, 12:37:14 PM »
Is there any way to get these without itunes for those who don't do the whole Apple thing?
You don't need anything except iTunes, actually... even if you only download to episopdes, you can play them via any mp3players you want
Classic D&D / Re: Finally got a Rules Cyclopedia
« Last post by RobJN on July 22, 2017, 06:38:55 AM »
Moar shelves!  ;D

I use my RC primarily if I want to look something up quickly, or look for something very specific. Or roll up magic items. But the boxed sets are nice to leaf through at a more leisurely pace.

The only advantage the PDF really has is that the OCR makes it infinitely faster to search.... provided I can remember the term I'm looking for...! :-[
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10